WALKING TRAILS OF KEFALONIA
The Walnut Tree villa is in an excellent position to take advantage of the many miles of ancient roads and tracks all over Kefalonia and perfect for those who love to walk and experience the beauty of the Greek countryside. The views from the hills and mountain areas are stupendous and it is possible to see the mainland lying to the north and east and several of the Ionian Islands (Ithaca, Zakynthos, Lefkada and many others) and well as a bird’s view of Kefalonia itself.
In the past few years it has been made much easier to identify the Walking Trails of Kefalonia with Information Boards placed at both the beginning and end of the Trails and way-marker posts marked with red or rocks painted with red and blue dots are to be found intermittently beside the paths to guide walkers.
These are the local walks we can personally recommend – maps in the villa (the varying levels of difficulty are stated for each walk):
• Water Routes of Sami (the old watermills) – easy to park, easy walking beside river bed
• Sami to Aghia Farentes/Kyatis – easy to park, uphill walking past Roman baths and pine forest with fabulous views
• Aghia Farentes to Sami Ancient Acropolis – easy to park, short uphill walk over some rough ground, through Sami Acropolis dating from classical and hellenistic periods and again views not be missed
• Antisamos Beach to Monastery of Agrilia – easy to park, uphill walk to one of our favourite places with magnificent views of Ithaca, Lefkada, the mainland and beyond …..!
• Antisamos Beach to Koutsopia Beach: some difficult walking with steep slopes – a walk of at least three hours best to be done in spring and autumn, this walk would be a day’s activity, staying on the beach for picnic, swimming, snorkelling and recovering (!) before the return walk.
- Walk from Kalithea Restaurant to the Gorge – quite steep in places downhill walk and you can return to the main road via the old Watermill walk.
- Walk from above Kalithea Restaurant to the ruins of Aghios Nichlaos, a steady but easy uphill walk particularly wonderful in the early morning light taking about three hours to get there. We think it is possible to walk to the main Argostoli road after the visit to Ag Nicholaos, so with organisation and two cars, the return could be by car. We still have to try this one out.
- Walk from Aghios Nikolaos near Lake Avithos along the old Watermills Trail
- Walk from Poros above the gorge to the Mycenean Tomb at Tzanata and back to Poros – about three hours walking and a generally easy walk, passing two ancient castle sites.
- Walk in the hills between Old Skala and Poros to Paleocastro, another ancient castle site – wonderful views and incredible peace.
AQUATIC SCUBA DIVING CLUB in Efimia Aghia www.aquatic.gr firstname.lastname@example.org
WILD NATURE EXPEDITIONS http://wildnature-expeditions.gr or visit their Facebook page
CONTACT: Kostas Vitorakis has been running this company for three years providing activities such as Caving, Canyoning, 4 x 4 Safaris, Rock Climbing, Hiking and many others
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES www.kefalonia-elements.com
CONTACT: Georgios Potamianos (Jeep Safaris, Walking Tours, Caving, Canyoning)
DONKEY TREKKING Kefalonia www.donkeytrekkingkefalonia.com or visit the Facebook page
CONTACT: Katharina Fehring Email: email@example.com
Book a trek with Katerina and her donkeys, Grisella, Wiolatta, Dora and Louise and discover the rich history of Kefalonia in the traditional way. TripAdvisor have awarded her their Certificate of Excellence in 2016.
BAVARIAN RIDING STABLES near Sami
This is a very popular activity – riding up into the mountains, exploring old trails and visiting old villages and monasteries.
Contact: Cornelia Schimpfky, Koulourata, Sami 28080 Telephone: 0030 697753 3203